An update on Barrett Brown being in solitary confinement
We now have an update on the reason why BB is in the SHU, also known as the hole, solitary confinement or special/security housing unit. Thanks to everyone who has followed this situation and expressed their concerns.
Someone made hooch (alcohol) and a bunch of inmates had been drinking it. Officials came and gave them all breathalyzers, and they all passed. Then they searched Barrett's locker (his only) and found a glass he had hidden in there. So that's his infraction. In his defense he says that everyone was doing it but he was singled out.
* He was taken from his cell Wednesday (6/17) evening and not allowed to bring belongings, including his file of legal papers and his prescription.
* He doesn't know how long he'll be there for.
* He has repeatedly asked for his medication but no one is responded, so he's going without.
* He asked for a pencil but they said they are out of pencils. He was able to borrow his roommate's and use paper from mail he has received.
* He's pretty sure that he only gets two phone calls per month.
* He is fine, the cell is air-conditioned, and his cellmate is okay.
* They get to have one hour of exercise time outside the cell five times per week (on weekdays).
* He is waiting for all of his belongings/property including his other books, stamps, paper and pencils. He keeps asking but doesn't know when he'll receive them.
* He intends to continue his writing.
* He is still receiving mail, including new books people recently ordered off the Amazon list
Write to him here:
Barrett Brown #45047-177
FCI Fort Worth
P.O. Box 15330
Fort Worth, TX 76119
BB's Amazon book wish list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/39B1EG2QA8BEP/
Express your concerns to the Bureau of Prisons here: http://www.bop.gov/inmates/concerns.jsp
Read about Brown's previous visit to "the hole" during summer 2014: