Pls RT - Molhem Barakat, reportedly 17, had sold photos to @reuters and was killed in #syria - here's my correspondence with their PR head...
I emailed the following:
I would be grateful if you could provide me with on the record answers or a statement responding to the following questions:
- There have been conflicting reports of Molhem's age ranging from 17 to 19. Are you able to clarify this?
- If not, how does Reuters respond to some reports that Molhem was 17 years old, and therefore a minor under UK and US law?
- What checks does Reuters carry out to verify the ages of young freelancers working in hostile environments?
- Is Reuters aware of whether Molhem Barakat had completed any hostile environment or first aid training. Was he equipped with personal protective equipment or a first aid kit?
- What it the current policy of Reuters on purchasing material from freelancers in Syria?
I look forward to hearing from you.
We are deeply saddened by the death of Molhem Barakat, who sold photos to Reuters on a freelance basis. To best protect the many journalists on the ground in a dangerous and volatile war zone, we think it is inappropriate to comment any further at this time.